Thursday, June 20

The False CSA Victory

Today was market day. I was all geared up to write a victory post announcing an accomplishment a full year in the making: finishing a CSA box before the next one arrives.

Then I discovered the bundle of turnip greens.

We turned kale into chips and leeks into croutons. Radishes became snacks and strawberries became dessert. Bok choy found a home in a Peri Peri fried pasta, and three bundles of spinach found their way into a barley tion. A full market share--supposedly for a family of four-- became sustenance for the two of us for an entire week. Nothing went wasted, nothing left behind.

Except turnip greens.

I swear I wasn't putting them off; there were just so many familiar vegetables to play with that I didn't take the time to stop and think on what to do with turnip greens. I ate so many (so. many.) of their bulbs this winter, but have never actually partook of their dense, light-colored leaves. In fact, these greens actually came to me as "mystery greens," and I had to admit to the farmers that I didn't recognize that bundle of food! A week later, there's a little yellowing, but otherwise the greens look perfectly good. So what now?

(1) Rip into small pieces and put into a salad, even though the leaves are a bit thick for my taste.
(2) Cut into ribbons and add to a fried pasta-- though I have no idea how I'd begin to season it!
(3) Dehydrate into chips. If the chips taste bad, grind into powder for soup or smoothie.

Nothing gone to waste, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment