Tuesday, October 19

Pectin-Free Blueberry Jam

Pectin is a natural substance. It's a gelling substance that can be extracted from apples or citrus peals. But when I pick up that little box of Sure-Jell at the store, I get a little skeptical. I think of the boxes brimming with local blueberries that I picked myself. I think of my little jar of organic lemon juice. And then I think... do I really need this little box of mysterious substance to make jam?

The answer, it turns out, is no; especially if you're an over-eager blueberry harvester like me and end up picking a lot of blueberries that are firm, beautifully ripe on the top, and a wee-bit pink on the bottom. I'm just not a fan of mushy berries, so I end up picking a lot of those that are a few hours behind their true-blue counterparts. Turns out this is a good thing, because those less-ripe brethren will turn your blueberries into jam.

Blueberry Jam

4 cups properly-ripe blueberries
2 cups shy-of-ripe blueberries
1-3 cups sugar
1-6 tbsp lemon juice (this will bring out the flavor a little more and counteract the sweetness a touch)

Throw it all into the biggest pot you can find and simmer it for 30-60 minutes, stirring every five minutes. If you like to get technical, the jam should be at 220 degrees. Don't worry about blending or mashing the berries, the heat and your wooden spoon will do most of that for you. The mixture is done cooking when the sauce starts to congeal on the spoon between stirrings. Pour into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace, process for 10 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment